- Cooking with Shirley Jackson [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- Charles Addams: The Long Island Macabre Master Who Created The Addams Family [LONG ISLAND PRESS]
- Ellen Bromfield Geld, youngest daughter of Louis Bromfield, dies at 87 [MANSFIELD NEWS JOURNAL]
- Book Excerpt: ‘Joan of Arc’ by Helen Castor [FLAVORWIRE]
I think I showed admirable restraint at the Half Price Books warehouse sale, don’t you?
Yesterday’s Google Doodle was in honor of Hannah Glasse (born on 28 March 1708).
Isn’t it adorable?
If autumn and apples are the perfect couple (and they totally are), then Sharlotka (Russian Apple Cake) is, perhaps, the most delicious expression of that union.
I baked one yesterday, to accompany the newly cold weather ’round these parts. Even better: the cake is served warm. The leftovers are fantastic, too. (I’m currently eating a slice and drinking a cup of hot Russian tea.)
This Sharlotka is fluffy, light, a bit tart (thanks to Granny Smith apples), and not too sweet; the top is crusty and golden.
I use Chef Matt Danko’s recipe (which is actually his dad’s). It’s even tastier than it looks!
This is my response to the Weekly Photo Challenge: Transition.
From The American Magazine, June 1949.
Food is magic, so it’s no wonder that I feel deeply, divinely alive and loved when The Chef cooks for me. His most recent culinary offering started like this:
CHEF LEIGHTON’S GRILLED CORNFUSION
- 5 OR 6 EARS OF CORN ON THE COB
- 1/2 OF A FRESH PINEAPPLE
- HABANERO SUGAR
- 6-8 THIN PATS OF BUTTER
- SRIRACHA SALT, TO TASTE
- DRIED CHILIES, TO TASTE
- GRILL THE EARS OF CORN USING YOUR PREFERRED METHOD. SLICE OFF THE KERNELS AND PLACE IN A MEDIUM BOWL.
- CUT THE PINEAPPLE INTO LARGE SLICES; RUB ONE SIDE OF EACH SLICE WITH A THIN LAYER OF HABANERO SUGAR. GRILL BOTH SIDES UNTIL SLIGHTLY BROWN. YOU CAN GRILL THE CORN AND THE PINEAPPLE AT THE SAME TIME. DICE THE PINEAPPLE AND ADD TO THE BOWL WITH THE CORN. STIR.
- ADD PATS OF BUTTER AND STIR WELL. ADD THE SALT AND CHILIES, TO TASTE, INCORPORATING FULLY.
It is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, and 100% marvelous! Kind of like a certain special someone I know…
“There is no love sincerer than the love of food.”-George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman