Old Man, a Samovar, and Tea by Alexander Morozov:
Important stuff. Good stuff. Necessary stuff.
WHEN FEMALE ARTISTS STOP BEING SEEN AS MUSES [THE PARIS REVIEW]
A local used bookstore recently closed after 25 years. They had a fantastic going-out-of-business sale. While part of me feels “guilty” for taking advantage of their sad circumstances, the rest (and logical) part of me knows that they needed to sell as many books as possible. Through these books, a bit of their entrepreneurial and intellectual spirit will live on. With that idea in mind, I’m doing a limited-run series where I’ll spotlight each of the volumes I “adopted” from this sweet little shop. Shine on, you bookish gems!
Today’s selection? Dr, Kildare Annual
I’m so relieved this is the authorized edition. What would a pirated version be like? Too scary to contemplate, right? (Not serious, by the way!)
- TITLE: DR. KILDARE ANNUAL
- STARRING: RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN
- COPYRIGHT: 1962, 1964, 1965 BY METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER, INC.
- PRINTED AND BOUND IN ENGLAND BY JARROLD & SONS LTD, NORWICH
- INSCRIBED: TO DAVID FROM AUNTY FREDA & UNCLE BILL XXX
WHY I BOUGHT IT:
I collect books based on 1950s and 1960s television shows. All of the others that I own are lightly illustrated novelizations, so I could not resist this special “annual” edition of Dr. Kildare. It consists of three comic book stories. Plus, Dr. Kildare looks pretty dreamy on the cover…and throughout the whole thing. This book is just so much fun!
Thanks for reading! I hope you’re enjoying the series. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.
What a gorgeous morning for a visit with The Umbrella Girl!
- YOU, TOO, CAN LIVE IN NORMAN MAILER’S HOUSE [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- TOM WOLFE, STRAIGHT-ARROW VIRGINIA GENT [THE PARIS REVEIW]
- FABULOUS PHOTOS FROM NYC’S PUNK AND NO-WAVE ERA [FLAVORWIRE]
- STUNNING ILLUSTRATIONS FOR NEW EDITIONS OF ‘FAHRENHEIT 451’ AND ‘I AM LEGEND’ [FLAVORWIRE]
Lady in Blue by Konstantin Somov (1897):
I am usually a good girl about maintaining the focus of ASPL, so I hope you forgive me when I occasionally go off-subject. When I do, it’s usually in support of one of my other projects. Like this!
Although I try to keep things compartmentalized, sometimes I just have to share updates. Like now!
Here’s what is going on over at Epic of World Saga.
If you love old pulp fiction magazines, do we have the covers (and commentary) for you!
Kev debuted a new series on May 5th. It’s all about classic sci-fi and adventure radio programs.
- Major Hap Hazard’s Atomic-Powered Transceiver of Time on a Moon!
- [Major Hap Hazard’s Atomic-Powered Transceiver of Time on a Moon!] X Minus One-Mars is Heaven
- [Major Hap Hazard’s Atomic-Powered Transceiver of Time on a Moon!] X Minus One-A Gun for Dinosaur
There are so many wonderful things on the horizon for EoWS, but this is all I’ll thrust on you today. I’ll be back with the regularly scheduled programming in a couple of hours. Until then, thanks for your indulgence.
Rainer Maria Rilke by Leonid Pasternak:
Yesterday’s Google Doodle was in honor of Hannah Glasse (born on 28 March 1708).
Isn’t it adorable?
Check it out on my sister site, Epic of World Saga! (Pssst…it features Harry Houdini!)