“It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.”–Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
I’m feeling it…
This was a gift from my bestie!
The French artist was born on 8 December 1864:
The doodle is by artist Ichinori.
- YOU, TOO, CAN LIVE IN NORMAN MAILER’S HOUSE [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- TOM WOLFE, STRAIGHT-ARROW VIRGINIA GENT [THE PARIS REVEIW]
- FABULOUS PHOTOS FROM NYC’S PUNK AND NO-WAVE ERA [FLAVORWIRE]
- STUNNING ILLUSTRATIONS FOR NEW EDITIONS OF ‘FAHRENHEIT 451’ AND ‘I AM LEGEND’ [FLAVORWIRE]
A local used bookstore recently closed after 25 years. They had a fantastic going-out-of-business sale. While part of me feels “guilty” for taking advantage of their sad circumstances, the rest (and logical) part of me knows that they needed to sell as many books as possible. Through these books, a bit of their entrepreneurial and intellectual spirit will live on. With that idea in mind, I’m doing a limited-run series where I’ll spotlight each of the volumes I “adopted” from this sweet little shop. Shine on, you bookish gems!
Today’s selection? Gene Autry and the Redwood Pirates.
- TITLE: GENE AUTRY AND THE REDWOOD PIRATES
- AUTHOR: BOB HAMILTON
- ILLUSTRATOR: ERWIN L. HESS
- YEAR PUBLISHED: 1946
- WHITMAN PUBLISHING COMPANY
- “AN ORIGINAL STORY FEATURING GENE AUTRY FAMOUS MOTION PICTURE STAR AS THE HERO”
- AUTHORIZED EDITION
WHY I BOUGHT IT:
Look. at. the. title. Who could resist this book? Not this gal! I collect “novels” based on 1960s television shows (Dr. Kildare, The Patty Duke Show, etc.); this is just another, earlier, iteration of that concept.
Thanks for reading! I hope you like the new series. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.
Check it out on my sister site, Epic of World Saga! (Pssst…it features Harry Houdini!)