- YOU, TOO, CAN LIVE IN NORMAN MAILER’S HOUSE [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- TOM WOLFE, STRAIGHT-ARROW VIRGINIA GENT [THE PARIS REVEIW]
- FABULOUS PHOTOS FROM NYC’S PUNK AND NO-WAVE ERA [FLAVORWIRE]
- STUNNING ILLUSTRATIONS FOR NEW EDITIONS OF ‘FAHRENHEIT 451’ AND ‘I AM LEGEND’ [FLAVORWIRE]
I enjoyed most of the books I read in 2017, but here are 11 that, for different reasons, caught my fancy.
In no particular order, they are:
- SHAKESPEARE: THE WORLD AS STAGE BY BILL BRYSON
- SINATRA: HOLLYWOOD HIS WAY BY TIMOTHY KNIGHT
- BEAUTIFUL BOREDOM: IDLENESS AND FEMININE SELF-REALIZATION IN THE VICTORIAN NOVEL BY LEE ANNA MAYNARD
- LIFE IN A MEDIEVAL VILLAGE BY FRANCES AND JOSEPH GIES
- PAIN, PARTIES, WORK: SYLVIA PLATH IN NEW YORK, SUMMER 1953 BY ELIZABETH WINDER
- UNDER THE BIG BLACK SUN: A PERSONAL HISTORY OF L.A. PUNK BY JOHN DOE
- IN THE GREAT GREEN ROOM: THE BRILLIANT AND BOLD LIFE OF MARGARET WISE BROWN BY AMY GARY
- GRETA GARBO: THE MYSTERY OF STYLE BY STEFANIA RICCI
- WHEN PARIS SIZZLED: THE 1920S PARIS OF HEMINGWAY, CHANEL, COCTEAU, COLE PORTER, JOSEPHINE BAKER, AND THEIR FRIENDS BY MARY MCAULIFFE
- SIRENS & SINNERS: A VISUAL HISTORY OF WEIMAR FILM 1918-1933 BY HANS HELMUT PRINZLER
- THE BEST MINDS OF MY GENERATION: A LITERARY HISTORY OF THE BEATS BY ALLEN GINSBERG
What were your fave books of 2017? Please share with me in the comments.
What is on your end-of-winter book list? I’m finishing up preliminary work for my novella; as a result, I haven’t been able to devote too much time to reading. Here’s where I’m at this month…
Since 1st February, I’ve finished:
- Under the Big Black Sun: A Personal History of L.A. Punk by John Doe with Tom DeSavia and Friends (Foreword by Billie Joe Armstrong)
I’m Currently Reading:
- Treat Me Like Dirt: An Oral History of Punk in Toronto and Beyond 1977-1981 by Liz Worth
- Hotel Florida: Truth, Love, and Death in the Spanish Civil War by Amanda Vaill
- The Last Love Song: A Biography of Joan Didion by Tracy Daugherty
- Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan
Which book on your list do you most look forward to reading, and why?
Please share with me in the comments!
I always shop for books and calendars between Christmas and New Year’s Day. As usual, I ended up with quite the eclectic mix (although the combination makes sense in my head). Do you like to buy books this time of year?
- The Startling Poetry of a Nearly Forgotten Japanese Modernist [THE NEW YORKER]
- Smoking with Lucia Berlin [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- Vengeance, Death, Blood, and Revenge [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- I Think I Would Rather Be a Painter [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- Bikini Kill to Reissue Debut Record With Three Previously Unreleased Tracks [FLAVORWIRE]
- 6 Quick Ways to Jump-Start Your Creativity [FLAVORWIRE]
- A Trove of Forgotten Writings Is Found in a Periodical Edited by Dickens [THE NEW YORK TIMES]
- Iris Murdoch’s Favorite Painting [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- Archie is a Punk Rocker Now in Crossover ‘Archie’/Ramones Comic [FLAVORWIRE]
Another fabulous gift from my mom:
A gift from my sweet momma: