- 12 MUSIC BOOKS THAT WILL ADD SOME COOL TO YOUR SUMMER [NO DEPRESSION]
- THE SIXTIES DIARIES [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- ‘THE FACEMAKER’ PROFILES THE BRITISH SURGEON WHO TREATED WWI’S DISFIGURED SOLDIERS [NPR]
- 12 BOOKS BY UP-AND-COMING TRANS AND NONBINARY AUTHORS [BOOK RIOT]
I’ve been powering through my research into the life and career of musical theater performer J! A considerable amount of the research is too tedious to share here, which is why I created Alternative Muses. Occasionally I come across something too fun to keep to myself or limit to AM, though, and J’s kindergarten scrapbook is one of those exceptions.
I’ve had this scrapbook since the beginning, but due to its delicate nature was too scared to catalog it…until yesterday!
I shared a few of the pieces over on Alternative Muses, but didn’t want you to miss out on this whimsical little bit of childhood history.
I cannot believe that it has been a month since my last post! We have been extremely busy at the family business AND most of what little spare time (ha!) that I have goes to book research.
I promise to post more frequently in June (not that that would be hard!). In the meantime, here is the most recent post from Alternative Muses, wherein I briefly catch you up on an unexpected turn-of-events in Biographyville.
I achieved a major milestone a couple of days ago! What is it? Thanks for asking. I finished cataloging the contents of J’s main scrapbook. Hallelujah! I’ve already added the relevant information to her Master Timeline. This means that I can move on to the next phase of research. Not sure what that is going to be, just yet. There are many, many options.
RESEARCH NOTES: WEEKS 23-24
- VICTORY: Finally finishing the scrapbook project, obviously.
- HAPPY DISCOVERY: I came across a marriage announcement (of sorts) for J and her husband R. Baby steps.
- FRUSTRATION: I’m being spread very thin these days. Not enough time. The usual, right?
- CURRENTLY READING: Lots of century-old newspaper clippings.
- HOURS SPENT ON RESEARCH: Approximately 12, across two weeks.
Until next time!
Thanks to wonderful initial support on my Ko-fi, I purchased a six-month subscription to newspapers.com’s Publisher Extra. This gives me access to all the things. Although I won’t be diving headlong into the site for another couple of weeks (after I wind up the scrapbook project), I have been unable to completely resist its siren’s call. There is amazing content on there, y’all. See below.
RESEARCH NOTES: WEEK 22
- VICTORY: Receiving support on Ko-fi is surprising, humbling, and much needed. Every penny helps. Thank you, thank you.
- HAPPY DISCOVERY: J starred as Kathie in a prominent touring production of The Student Prince. This roadshow company performed in major US cities during the operetta’s initial Broadway run. This was a BIG DEAL, ultimately ranking as one of her greatest professional achievements. Having access to Publisher Extra allowed me to start filling in some of the details of this exciting period in her life.
- FRUSTRATION: Information is coming at me so fast that I might have to rethink my project timeline. Will three-ish years be enough time to complete my research? No idea, at this point.
- CURRENTLY READING: Memphis Movie Theatres by Vincent Astor
- HOURS SPENT ON RESEARCH: Not enough
Until next time!