“An old house that had lived its life long ago and so was very quiet and wise and a little mysterious. Also a little austere, but very kind.”–L.M. Montgomery
Category Archives: Writers
[Alternative Muses] Writerly Style: Ngaio Marsh
“Elegance is elimination.”–Balenciaga
This 85-year-old photograph of New Zealand writer Ngaio Marsh proves that elegance, coziness, and individuality can be as stylish as anything out of the pages of a 21st-century fashion magazine.
Embellishments are minimal: an eccentric shoulder, a few buttons, an indifferently tilted hat, a bit of pattern and texture here or there.
Clean lines. Confidence.
She is, more than anything, mysterious.
[Book Nerd Links] Welty, Beckett, Heaney, Wharton, and Lefteri
[Book Nerd News] MC Beaton Dies at 83
Here Are Three Joan Didion Quotes in Honor of Her Birthday
“We tell ourselves stories in order to live.”–The White Album
“I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.”
“I am a writer. Imagining what someone would say or do comes to me as naturally as breathing.”–The Year of Magical Thinking
[Book Nerd News] Novelist Ernest J. Gaines Dies at Age 86
[Book Nerd Links] Shirley Jackson, Charles Addams, Ellen Bromfield Geld, and Joan of Arc
- Cooking with Shirley Jackson [THE PARIS REVIEW]
- Charles Addams: The Long Island Macabre Master Who Created The Addams Family [LONG ISLAND PRESS]
- Ellen Bromfield Geld, youngest daughter of Louis Bromfield, dies at 87 [MANSFIELD NEWS JOURNAL]
- Book Excerpt: ‘Joan of Arc’ by Helen Castor [FLAVORWIRE]
Philip Roth Dies at 85
- Philip Roth, Pulitzer-Prize Winning Author, Dies at 85 [THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER]
- Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Philip Roth Dies at 85 [VARIETY]
- Philip Roth, Fearless and Celebrated Author, Dies at 85 [LOS ANGELES TIMES]
[Book Nerd News] Tom Wolfe Dies at 87
Tom Wolfe Dies at 87:
[Book Nerd News] Ursula K. Le Guin–Dead at 88
URSULA K. LE GUIN, ACCLAIMED FOR HER FANTASY FICTION, IS DEAD AT 88 [THE NEW YORK TIMES]
URSULA K. LE GUIN, AWARD-WINNING SCIENCE FICTION WRITER, HAS DIED AT 88 [LOS ANGELES TIMES]