Another fabulous gift from my mom:
- Title: Picture This Debbie Harry and Blondie
- Author: Mick Rock
- Year Published: 2004 (Sanctuary Publishing Limited)
- Year Purchased: 2004
- Source: Via mail, exact source unknown.
- About: This is famed photographer Mick Rock’s obsessively lovely visual tribute to Debbie Harry and, casually, by way of association, her bandmates in Blondie. It’s a reminder-for those in actual need of one-of how truly stunning, original and photogenic the singer has always been. He also throws in anecdotes about other rock and rollers who have been covered by his lens.
- Motivation: Going into this one, I had to repeat the phrase “Must not natter on about my love for Debbie Harry, must not natter on about my love for Debbie Harry…” The Blondie frontwoman is who I wanted to grow up to be: confident, talented, singular and beautiful. I still feel that way. I’m equipped with so many thoughts about DH that it is only with real effort that I pack them away for another day. I’ll move on to the next category before this becomes a 3,000 word essay or I stray into suspiciously flowery, fangirl territory.
- Times Read: cover-to-cover: 3/picture gawking: countless
- Random Excerpt/Page 103: “Not that her allure was any less potent, for her appeal did not (and does not) reside solely in her blondness. It’s an innate quality. There has always been a softness,a non-narcissistic casualness about the way she deals with her physical appeal.”
- Happiness Scale: 10++++++