The Homes of 18 Legendary Writers [ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST]
Tag Archives: Leo Tolstoy
Leo Tolstoy on Plans and Projects
[Book Nerd Links] Bas Bleu, Libraries, Shakespeare/Tolstoy, and Shaw
- Why Bas Bleu? [BAS BLEU]
- The Oldest Libraries Around the World [FLAVORWIRE]
- Why is Shakespeare Still So Popular? For the Same Reason Tolstoy Hated Him [ATLAS OBSCURA]
- George Bernard Shaw stamped angrily over wasted postage [INDEPENDENT.IE]
[Book Nerd Links] Four Posts for Mid-Week Reading
- 12 Horror Icons Reading Scary Stories You Can Listen to Right Now [FLAVORWIRE]
- 6 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘The Giving Tree’ Author Shel Silverstein [HUFFPOST BOOKS]
- Flannery O’Connor Peacock Party [SAVANNAH MAGAZINE]
- Thomas Edison’s Recordings of Leo Tolstoy: Hear the Voice of Russia’s Greatest Novelist [OPEN CULTURE]
[A Holiday Shopping Spree for the Bookworm] Second Stop: Terrific Friends by Diana Shafer
I love bookish goodies almost as much as I love actual books, and reading. Being a bookworm is not a hobby: it is an all-enveloping, personality-defining lifestyle. The holiday season is just getting started, which means it is time to go shopping the literary way! Over the next two weeks, I will take you on a virtual bookish shopping spree to some of my favourite lit sites!
In 2013, we visited some wonderful literary museums. This year, I am delighted to showcase several amazing book-themed Etsy shops. Let’s get started!
TERRIFIC FRIENDS BY DIANA SHAFER
This shop is full of whimsical, beautifully rendered prints of famous writers. They’re all very witty. Try falling in love with just one. I dare you.
MY FAVOURITE PIECES:
- TERRIFIC FRIENDS BY DIANA SHAFER: ETSY STORE
- LOCATION: BOISE, IDAHO
- ARTIST: DIANA SHAFER
- ARTIST INFO: HERE
Writers in Art: Portrait of Leo Tolstoy in His Study by Ilya Repin
By now, it is obvious that I love Ilya Repin’s paintings of famous Russian writers. This image of Tolstoy illustrates why: the coupling of serenity and realism is a powerful combination.
Writers in Art: Tolstoy Ploughing by Ilya Repin
Celebrate Tolstoy’s 186th Birthday with These Google Doodles
This gallery contains 3 photos.
The Splendiferously Bearded Writers Social Club: Leo Tolstoy
- Name: Leo Tolstoy
- D/O/B: 9/9/1828
- Member since: 1868
- Status: Charter Member
- Important Role: Spiritual advisor
- Hobbies: Raising his large brood of children; nonviolent resistance; austerity
[Forgotten Gems] Free e-books Edition: Reminiscences of Tolstoy, by His Son
There are many amazing, often obscure works of literature available as free e-books: small slices of earthly and intellectual paradise waiting to be uncovered. Finding dusty old gems can take a bit of work and patience, but this exercise is my kind of fun. I thought it would be nice to share my discoveries with you on a regular basis. First up:
Reminiscences of Tolstoy, by His Son by Graf Ilia Lvovich Tolstoi [Project Gutenberg]