- Title: The First Elizabeth
- Author: Carolly Erickson
- Year Published: 1983 (St. Martin’s Griffin)
- Year Purchased: 1990’s
- Source: Antique Barn at The Ohio State Fair, Columbus, Ohio
- About: My favourite historical personage and all around kick-ass woman receives an above-average biographical treatment here.
- Motivation: See above. Also, I love my fellow redheads.
- Times Read: 2
- Random Excerpt/Page 187: “There were more festivities in the coming days. The queen went to Woolwich to launch a fine new ship for her navy, christened the ‘Elizabeth’, and returned to Greenwich to watch more military games-among them a “great casting of fire, and shooting of guns, till twelve at night.” The recent peace, these exercises proclaimed, had not dimmed England’s warlike spirit; let other nation’s take warning.”
- Happiness Scale: 10
A Year in Books/Day 60: The First Elizabeth