- AN UPDATE ON SAVE UNDERSHAW: Arthur Conan Doyle’s house to be converted into special school [courtesy The Guardian]
- Boston’s Edgar Allan Poe Statue Will Be Unveiled in October [courtesy Boston Magazine]
An interview with Arthur Conan Doyle, 1927.
- Title: Good Old Index The Sherlock Holmes Handbook
- Author: Thomas W. Ross
- Year Published: 1997 (Camden House)
- Year Purchased: 2002/2003
- Source: Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller Company
- About: Every single thing you could ever want or need to know about Sherlock Holmes, except, perhaps, which actor best embodies the timeless sleuth.
- Motivation: Although I am not an obsessive Holmes fanatic, I am quite the ardent reader. I also love lists and encyclopedias.
- Times Read: Cover-to-cover: 1/As consulting tool: countless
- Random Excerpt/Page 62: “Epithets, for Holmes, hurled at him by scoffers: see busybody; cocksure; jack-in-office; theorist; clever.”
- Happiness Scale: 7
As part of a new series on creative spaces, I’ll be writing more on the subject of writers’ homes over the coming months. Until then, check out this site for information on the plan currently afoot (hehe) to save Arthur Conan Doyle’s beloved home, Undershaw.
- Title: Arthur Conan Doyle A Life in Letters
- Edited by: Jon Lellenberg, Daniel Stashower & Charles Foley
- Year Published: 2007 (The Penguin Press New York)
- Year Purchased: 2011
- Source: Dollar Tree
- About: A biography-through-letters of the struggling medical man turned world famous writer.
- Motivation: Letter writing, once the definitive mode of communication for millions, is a nearly obsolete art. It is also the straightest path to the real feelings, opinions and events of a person’s life. When creating Sherlock Holmes is only one of many odd and diverse accomplishments for that person, then the straightest path is by far the best.
- Times Read: 1
- Random Excerpt/Page 192: “Dear Mrs. Boismaison- Though I am forced to send in my bills at regular intervals in order to keep my books square, I need hardly say that there is not the slightest reason for your settling them until it entirely suits your convenience. Hoping that you are keeping well, I remain Very sincerely yours A. Conan Doyle, MB CM”.
- Happiness Scale: 10 (9 for content with a bonus point awarded because I read the
book on my honeymoon)