- Amy Lowell died on 5/12/1925. “Take everything easy and quit dreaming and brooding and you will be well guarded from a thousand evils.”
- Daphne du Maurier was born on 5/13/1907. “Time will mellow it, make it a moment for laughter. But now it was not funny, now I did not laugh. It was not the future, it was the present. It was too vivid, too real.” (from Rebecca)
- Jean Rhys died on 5/14/1979. “Reading makes immigrants of us all. It takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere.”
- L. Frank Baum was born on 5/15/1856. “Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.”
- Emily Dickinson died on 5/15/1886. “Finite to fail, but infinite to venture.”
- Katherine Anne Porter was born on 5/15/1890. Her The Collected Stories won the 1966 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
[All images are in the public domain and are courtesy of Wikimedia Commons]